I don’t place much stock in New Year’s resolutions, at least not as much as I do in setting yearly goals. I always get satisfaction when I cross something off my to-do list…whether it’s something small like washing the sheets or a much loftier achievement. One of the few goals I set for myself during 2016 was to read at least 50 books.
I was always a voracious reader and I’ve always been adamant about finishing the books I start (even the bad ones). However, I almost stopped reading entirely in the two years after I graduated from college. According to my Goodreads account, I read 35 books last year and a whopping 0 the year before (to be fair, I certainly read, but didn’t track it). This year I was determined to make time for one of my favorite hobbies.
With the latest trip around the sun almost complete, I’ve successfully read 14,568 pages for a total of 50 books! And, in no particular order, the top 10 books of my year:
- Year of Yes, by Shonda Rhimes
- Sex Object, by Jessica Valenti
- Bad Feminist, by Roxane Gay
- Notorious RBG, by Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik
- milk and honey, by rupi kaur
- Scrappy Little Nobody, by Anna Kendrick
- Talking As Fast As I Can, by Lauren Graham
- Where Am I Now?, by Mara Wilson
- The Memory Box, by Eva Lesko Natiello
- Life of Pi, by Yann Martel
I think next year’s goal might need to remain at 50. The majority of my reading was done before I started graduate school this fall and I saved the last 8 books for December, when I was finished with classes and papers. 50 even seems like a stretch for this upcoming year, since I’ll still be a full-time student for the whole calendar year. Here’s to 2017 and 50 more…